Thursday, September 1, 2011

Home sweet home...






Its always interesting having conversations with new people and revealing that:

 (A.) my home town was a dusty dirt bowl of harsh sun and deathly cold nights, and
( B.) I was in fact born in The Namib Deserts of South West Africa.

The response however is always the same..."so did you like live in a hut and hunt lions??" to which I have the joy of answering with something far-fetched or the truth.... ..

I lived in a house in a town with a small grassed backyard a swing. Everything is almost as normal as any other town only difference is I had miles and miles of  sandy dunes and stretches of ocean out the front door and the occasional leopard (although this was years ago.)

To anyone who knows of, or has lived here understands how unforgiving the desert can be, yet appreciate the inexplainable beauty of its rolling dunes coloured sands and wild oceans. 

Tonight I find myself somewhat homesick discovering these beautiful pics from Tim Walker in his British Vogue editorial.

Featuring the stunning AGGY, he captures not only my home, but my heart....


Also check out location pictures shot by photographer Álvaro Sánchez-Montañés who stumbled across Kolmanskop, a now ghost town in southern Namibia that had once been a rich mining village. TRULY AMAZING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment